Monday, September 1, 2008

???Munchables???

My baby is all grown up....and starting kindergarten! Sad day for Mom and Mollie, but exciting day for Easton! He was extremely upset when he learned that I would be taking him to school on the first day, instead of the bus. I tried to explain that he didn't know where his class was..."No worries Mom, I will follow the other kids!"



When asked, Easton will tell you that his favortie thing to do at school is ride the bus. Go figure. I wonder if that will be his favorite thing to do in high school?? As a Mom, my biggest fear is that he wouldn't get on the right bus coming come, but he knows that he rides bus #24. His cousin Kaibree also rides the bus with him, and I have explained that big trouble will come her way if Easton is not on the bus with her. She, being a "cool sixth grader" doesn't need to sit by him, just make sure that he is somewhere on the bus! We are glad that Kaibree rides the bus with him!


On the Second day, we quickly learned what a "munchable" was. To me it sounds a whole lot like "lunchable", so I was thinking perhaps a cracker with some cheese and lunchmeat! OH NO!! What is it you may wonder - a Peanutbutter and Jelly Sandwich in the style of a "pie" (as Easton would describe it). All the edges are smashed together so Easton can't see the insides. Not that he would even know what peanutbutter looked or even smelled like. For lunch you could have either had a burrito or munchable. All of the other kids were having munchables, so Easton decided that he wanted one also!

Yep, as you can probably guess, the Epi Pen came out! And Easton will never forget it.


Easton explained to me that the teacher gave him a "1-2-Hi-Yah! (I assume that means that she counted and then "it hurt like crazy"!) I guess when it comes down pretty hard you seem to jump out of your chair a little. Poor Easton now has a slash from one side of his thigh to the other side. Dave was wondering in the needle was still in the pen!


I guess he got pretty hysterical at that point (his leg hurting and all), so they offered him a sucker. His response, "does it have any nuts?" Don't know why we didn't ask that about the sandwich???


Dave ran up to the school to take a look at him, and he said he could see where his mouth and tounge had swollen, but other than that he seemed to be doing okay. Easton on the other hand wanted Dave to go home. He was cramping his recess time, and he thought Dad wasn't going to let him ride the bus home. When he got home, Mollie asked him if he liked lunch. He replied, "Peanutbutter sandwiches are okay, but the shots sure hurt!" Over the course of the night, we constantly talked about not eating sandwiches at the school (everyday you are offered the choice of a munchable!). NO Sandwiches the school makes! Next days choices...PBJ Sandwich or Turkey and Cheese Sandwich...Nice! I told Easton to make sure he had a turkey one, and after school when I asked him..."everyone knows I can't have peanutbutter, mom." I guess everyone is looking out for him now!

4 comments:

Foxyboxy said...

Don't open that big package of peanut butter bars I just mailed to Easton.... ;) I love this story--at EAston's expense, I suppose, but it really is amusing if nothing else. :) Poor guy.

Daniel, Stephanie, & Chloe said...

We love Easton!!! I'm going find a sucker that does have peanuts...if one exists. :)

Tiffani Hamilton said...

I laughed until I cried reading this story...then I tried to go read it to Travis and was laughing so hard he could not even understand me! Easton's comments were priceless.

Cory, Jeri, Brock and Parker T. said...

Gosh, I didn't laugh at all. (SCARY) My little Brock, who is a 1st grader is really really allergic to nuts too. I'm nervous every single day when he goes to school. I'm surprised your school serves peanutbutter sandwiches. When Brocks school finds out there is a kid with a nut allergy. They turn the entire school into a "nut Free" school. none in the lunchroom and they even ask other parents not to send Peanutbutter sandwiches for cold lunch. You didn't seem too scared. Have you had to use the epi-pen very often? I guess you Dave to thank for that awesome gene. Huh~!
I'm so glad you guys have a blog. Its fun to watch what is going on in you little family.